Monday, November 15, 2010

Operation Winter Coat 2010: Muslin

I have completed the muslin of my winter coat.  The picture looks odd because I used up a small stash of flannel I was hoarding.



I decided to use the costume coat pattern, Simplicity 0806, with design and size alterations.  I expanded the waist measurement, leaving enough ease to compensate for the wool fashion fabric and lambs wool interlining.  I also drafted a new front vertical band and collar pattern.  I like the way the front band gives a distinct vertical line to the coat, hopefully elongating my body, although it will be the same fabric as the rest of the coat in the final coat.


One thing I love about this pattern are the box pleats on the back "skirt."
I received my fabric today in the mail.  I'm using a navy blue wool/cashmere, from fashionfabricsclub.com, for the outer fabric and a silk leopard print habotai, found on ebay, for the lining.  I'm also interlining the coat with lambs wool.

I'm realizing now that silk habotai may have not been the best pick for the lining.  It is extremely thin and fragile.  At this point, I'm not willing to invest in more fabric, plus I don't have the time to wait for the shipment before my NYC trip.  I'm going to try interfacing the silk with a lightweight interfacing.  I'm also underlining the silk with the interlining.  Time for experimentation.

I took the muslin apart tonight to use as the pattern.  Tomorrow I plan on taking the wool to the dry cleaner to have it steam ironed.

This week I will cut out all pattern pieces and have everything ready to begin.  I can't wait to start the tailoring process...I'm so excited!  What a nerd! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment