Sunday, November 28, 2010

Winter Coat 2010: Progress

I've made progress over the past two weeks.  Boy, I didn't realize how much hand work went into a tailored garment.  I didn't think I would enjoy all of the hand sewing but I actually find it quite relaxing.  How geeky does that sound! haha  But, I turned on music and sewed away.

These first three pictures show the point my coat was at this morning.  I have been working all day sewing, and never even turned the sewing machine on, haha. This is a new world to me!  I love the back of the coat.  It is so tailored and military-esque, and the box pleats are extremely flattering.





I sewed two single welt pockets, one of either side on the double breast front panels, and a flap for each.

I'm proud of the flaps because I was able to utilize the turn of cloth so no seams are showing on the edges.

Initially I was unsure how I wanted the pockets but I think this treatment works functionally and aesthetically.  Oh, this was the first time I had ever sewed a welt pocket.

This link from the Fashion Incubator Blog was amazing and helped tremendously.  My welts look great, even though it was my first time.






I worked all day hand sewing; basting the hair canvas to the front panels, and pad stitching the lapels, well one lapel.  Pad stitching really is like working magic.  The lapel folds perfectly now! I can't wait to see it finished!  Here is a picture of the one lapel I was able to finish the pad stitching on today.  This picture was taking right after steaming, and my iron spit out a little extra water.



This week my plan is to finish pad stitching, set in both sleeves, and at least begin hemming the coat.  I'm running out of time and getting a little nervous.  I only have three weeks left until my NYC trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment